Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hiking with Galahad


Galahad, like Midnight, loves the trails. At this point in his career, I don't dare ride him out there--we both walk. He finds everything interesting and many things a little bit alarming. Trees with holes in them might hide monsters; shadows on a hillside might be  he monsters themselves. He trusts me, though, and stands still when I ask him to.

On the trail the other day we came across a recently dead squirrel, missing part of its head. He found that intensely interesting. He sniffed its back, sniffed the stump of its neck, turned it over with his nose and sniffed its belly. For a minute I thought he was going to nibble it, but eventually he had enough and we walked on.

I can hardly wait until it's safe to ride him out there. That certainly won't be until after the archery deer season, which runs through the end of the year. This color horse isn't called "buckskin" for nothing. And both he and I need more experience.

When we came back to the barn, I hopped on and rode him around the arena for a little while. He's learning to neck rein, slowly but surely, and to respond to leg pressure. By myself, I've only ridden him at a walk because I ride bareback for the most part, but will try a trot soon.

It still amazes me that this huge and wonderful animal allows me to ride him.

No comments:

Post a Comment